Spring time car work

If it is 1958 Buick related and doesn't fall in the other categories or you can't figure out where to put it, put it here! All non-1958 Buick discussion should occur in The Lounge.

Spring time car work

Postby 58limited » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Well, I've finally done some work to my car that it has needed for a few years. There was an exhaust leak and I kept putting it off for several years. I decided to tackle it since the starter needed rebuilding and I was going to be under the car anyway. Here is what I found: This wasn't just a minor leak at where the tail pipes bolted to the exhaust manifold, but most of the exhaust manifold bolt were actually loose and backed out several turns - I didn't need a wrench for over half on them.

I had the manifolds milled and then I painted them with the high temp paint from Eastwood that looks like cast iron and isn't supposed to rust - we'll see. CARS, Inc. sells the original style French Locks that are used instead of lock washers on the manifold bolts, so i bought a set - about $20 plus shipping. They are stainless steel. Now it looks factory new (except the rest of the motor is greasy).

I rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the plugs, wires, rotors , and I replced the Petronix ignitor with points. I pulled the intake off since the exhaust cross over was plugged. Cleaned that and repainted the intake - looks like a jewel in a cesspool (rest of motor is dirty). It is now running better than it has in years.

I bought some other parts but will wait a bit before doing the work: from seal is leaking, torque ball is leaking - bought the kit from CARS, Inc, and I bought brake shoes and hoses for the front wheels. I'll probably do the brakes this week, but the front seal and torque ball will wait for awhile.

I hope everyone's car is running well, lets get them out and enjoy them!
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous