Limited Paint Code

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc.

Limited Paint Code

Postby factoryben » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:52 pm

I am new to this forum. I have a 1958 Limited convertible. It is number 564 of the convertibles. It is in rough condition but essentailly a very rough survivor. Not much has been changed. The Air Poise is gone but otherwise a pretty original car with flintstone floors. It has grey leather interior (#770). The paint code is 35. I am told the first number is the top color (white) and the second is the body color (laurel mist). The firewall is painted white and does not look to have been repainted. The body had been white (when I remove trim there is white paint underneath) but was repainted a light blue. I think there was only one repaint. So why doesn't the Paint code match? Or am I reading it wrong? I suppose the other option is that somebaody did one heck of a great repaint back in the day but I have not found any pink paint on this car. A picture of the trim tag is attached. Any comments will be helpful. I am in the middle of a 54 Vette restoration. Should be completed by the end of the year and then I plan on starting the Limited restoration. Thanks for any help. Ben
Attachments
boysJAN2012 058datatag4.jpg
Trim Tag
(216.93 KiB) Downloaded 770 times
factoryben

Re: Limited Paint Code

Postby 58limited » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forum! Limiteds and Roadmasters had Lucite paint. 3 = Laurel Mist (a silver pink/rose color), 5 = Polar Mist (a white with a yellow-green tint). 3 is the top color, 5 is the bottom or body color. Factory two-tones were thus: below belt line = bottom or body color, above belt line (i.e. - roof or cvt. top) = top color. Factory Limiteds did not have the top color in the louver bank as seen on several cars on the internet; this was either an aftermarket (maybe dealership) touch, improper restoration, or personal choice of the restorer.

Trim code 770 is silver leather.

Here is a link to the data plate decoding page I made:

http://www.1958buickforum.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=254
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Return to Body, Trim, Interiors