New Air Poise

This categaory is for discussion of the factory air ride suspension: parts, service, etc.

New Air Poise

Postby Air Poise » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:10 am

Recently I enjoyed a short ride across a street in Georgia paved in cobblestones. I was riding in the front seat of a 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham featuring its original Buick-type air suspension. Its belt-driven compressor worked simply and quietly. As we drove over different types of streets in the city of Athens, site of their annual university town car show, I was completely overwhelmed at the smoothness and stability of the ride.

I have always been warned to avoid the Air-Poise system in any 1958 Buick by original Buick owners who told me that the air systems were plagued with problems. Much research into this topic of interest throughout General Motors' epic recall has also made me cautious of such ventures. The main problem with the air-borne systems was quality control in assembly plants and training of dealership service technicians ... not the engineering.

I was so moved by the impressive performance of the 1958-type system installed in the later Cadillac that undergoing the re-installation of a very similar Air-Poise system in both my 1958 Limiteds has been scheduled. Although such a venture is surely a serious commitment to these beautiful automobiles in additional maintenance the overwhelming improvements in the famous Buick "Miracle Ride" are, to me, very much worth the effort. Should anyone be interested, the Buick Air-Poise system, standard on the Limited models, is nicely documented on an 1958 episode of "I LOVE LUCY" where a Limited and Century models are featured. It becomes really obvious when the Limited is stopped quickly that stronger shock absorbers would be most helpful.

I have recently driven and compared many different 1958 Buick models including a very low-mileage Century with original shocks and steel suspension. It was especially wonderful. Both my Limiteds, I feel, will be greatly improved by re-installation of a slightly modified Air-Poise system. I will keep you all informed of the results.
Air Poise

Re: New Air Poise

Postby 58limited » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:16 pm

I have a few questions here:

I was riding in the front seat of a 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham featuring its original Buick-type air suspension.

I know the '57 - 60 Broughams all had air ride as a standard option. The Cadillac system was identical to Buick except for the airbags. Cadillac's were designed with replaceable rubber (which I've heard is being reproduced), whereas the Buick airbags were designed as a non-serviceable one piece unit. In your conversion, are you using Cadillac air bags? Is there any modifications needed to make them fit? Who are your suppliers? Or are you actually using Buick style air bags or modern style? I'm definitely interested in this.

My Limited has everything on it except the airbags. All of the leveling valves will need to be rebuilt. I have a set of airbags from a wagon - they only hold air for about 5-10 minutes. The wagon rear bags are different than the sedan rear bags.

Should anyone be interested, the Buick Air-Poise system, standard on the Limited models...

I have always read that Air Poise was not standard on any model, it was only an option. But, some people have told me that it was standard on Limiteds - do you have any literature on this?

I've run across a few people that have NOS Buick airbags, they want $1500 each or more, so if there are new ones being made for less this is great. Also, when I was searching for a used set to display with my car, I found one parts yard in Arizona that had a Super with them. The guy told me the rubber was bad (he knew that meant they were useless), BUT he wanted $125 each for them. I told him he was crazy, they were useless parts and the labor to remove them was not that much. The set I have was free - an individual parting a wagon gave them to me - I just had to pay postage.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby Air Poise » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:08 am

I heard the Air Poise system was standard on LIMITED models only from a discussion with Wayne Meadlin and Gene Reynolds. I have, however, never seen any such literature. Both my LIMITED models had the original air suspension system. Has anyone ever seen a Limited without remnants of Air Poise? I would really like to experience the Air Poise that has been restored. They are out there somewhere...

I have discussed with many people the conversion to Air Ride Technologies 8" bags which seems to be far less expensive than a "correct" restoration due to the lack of new Buick diaphrams being produced. I was told that Cadillac air bags were being reproduced. (Please note- the 1959-1960 Cadillac air suspension system was like the Buick Air Poise system as was the 1958 Cadillac system except for the 1957-58 Eldorado Brougham)

Tom
Air Poise
Pensacola, FL
Air Poise

Postby 58limited » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:33 pm

Has anyone ever seen a Limited without remnants of Air Poise?

I'm re-reading my article about the Wells Fargo custom Limited that Buick made. That car did not have air poise (which seemed odd to me since the car was a showpiece. It didn't have A/C or autronic eye either. One of the Limited four doors that I parted did not have any air poise parts, and did not appear to have ever had any - I didn't see any mounting holes or other parts that are generally left on after a conversion to springs - I usually look on all cars that I part out.

Every now and then I see a '58 for sale with working air poise, but they are rare. I just talked to a man in Australia that said there is a Limited coupe near him with a functional system.

Other cars:
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
58limited
Site Admin

Postby HotRod58er » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:17 am

mentioning Air Poise.

The 58 Buick Limited 4 door Riviera I am trying to get NEVER had the air bags taken off I was told. The car was bought in a deal with 2 others originaly bought in Utah and then sold to a Limited nut in Alaska where they sat outside for a number of years then where they are now. When I get some better pictures of it I will make to let you all know if it still carries the air bags under her belt :twisted: The easiest way to tell if a Limited didnt come standard with air bags is to check the compressor. Becuase they left the compressor in the car becuase the power steering pumps lines went through it. If there is no brackets or compressor and you verified the motor is correct then its a accessory, but at the same time I cant see how it would be. On a car that expensive I would see the better ride being standard, while A/C, foglights, autronic eye, and fog lights are options becuase it doesnt consider a necessity at any level unlike air ride---represents Buick design and technique..
Reverance for the past-ensures the future

Cars
1997 Buick Riviera (yes its supercharged)
1959 Buick LeSabre 4 door sedan (45,000 original miles)
HotRod58er

Postby 58limited » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:33 am

My Limited did not have the compressor on it when I bought it, just a regular power steering set up. It has all other Air Poise parts except the air bags. I found a compressor/power steering pump and swapped it with the standard pump. My dealer catalog states that Air Poise was an option on the Limited (and all other models), not standard. To get Air Poise on the base Special, you had to upgrade to automatic transmission (and power steering, of course).

One way to tell if the car ever had Air Poise is to look at the splash pan in front of the radiator: there are holes for the hoses that go to the air tank on Air Poise equipped cars. Those that never had Air Poise will have no holes in the splash pan. I looked in my factory parts catalog and there are two different part numbers for the splash pans, one states it is for Air Poise cars. I have two splash pans from Limiteds that I've parted: one with and one without these holes.

If you get the Limited in Alaska, you can see if the air bags hold air by filling the air tank using a compressor and air hose - like filling a tire. There is a valve stem accessible through the splash pan. Restoring Air Poise is very expensive and if the air bags are bad, it will be nearly impossible to find original replacements. You will probably have to use after market bags.

If you decide not to keep the Air Poise on the car, I would be interested in acquiring the air bags, functional or not. I have some station wagon bags - the rear bags are different than those used on regular cars.

Other cars:
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
58limited
Site Admin

Postby HotRod58er » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:56 am

hmm. Well if the car originaly had air bags I am going to rebuild the system. I can see the vacumme tank, compressor, lines, fittings, and bags but cant see how that can be so expensive? I know Cadillac and Buicks airbags were similar so if they reproduce those I can use Caddy air bags on the Buick! Never thought of this one. 59 Buicks also had air bags, arent they the same and do they reproduce the bags for those?

Cars
HotRod58er

Postby 58limited » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:15 am

The same system was used on the '59 models prior to the recall. Most recalled vehicles only had the air bags removed. I wish I had a copy of the recall notice to read for myself, but I've been told that all parts were supposed to be removed, but most dealerships took the easy way and only removed the air bags.

I think the Cadillac bags would work fine - Cadillac designed theirs so that the rubber could be replaced. One big expense in rebuilding is in the leveling valves. The leveling valves and manual override valve are hard to find parts for. There is a guy in California that rebuilds them but he charges high $$ to do this. I bought the power steering pump rebuild kit from him - it normally comes with a complete compressor rebuild kit for $350 but he sold me the steering pump only part for $55. He specializes in Cadillac Broughams and when I talked with him 5 years ago, he said a complete air ride work over was about $4500 if he did the work. I have heard mixed opinions about him.

The leveling valves have three different Schrader (sp?) valves in them - I've been told that they are not made anymore but I haven't taken the time to look. There are tons of seals through out the system and getting a good air tight seal can be tricky. Modern systems are much less complex. I would think that if you can find the parts, rebuilding the system is doable. I live in an industrial area where I can find most parts (except the A/C clutch pulley bearing - they just don't make that one anymore). One of these days I'm going to look for the valve stems for the leveling valves.

Other cars:
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
58limited
Site Admin

Postby HotRod58er » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:40 pm

$4,500 I may see if he has to custom make every part but then again that is what I am going to college for and if I had a diagram of how it worked I could rebuilt it myself given lots of time! By the way is there a book that talks about the AirPoise system or for Cadillac or Chevy would also be the same.

Cars
HotRod58er

Postby 58limited » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Each GM division did their own thing with the air ride. Cadillac and Buick are similar, all others are quite different. The shop manual shows how to service Air Poise.

Other cars:
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
58limited
Site Admin

Postby HotRod58er » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am

Is there a company that makes Cadillac Air Bags for these cars? I also emailed the company that made the valves for the air ride and have yet to hear back.

Cars
HotRod58er

Postby 58limited » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 pm

As far as I have heard the rubber portion of the air bags are, or were, being reproduced. You might have to find a used set of the metal domes, but maybe they are reproduced also.

I would get on a Cadillac discussion group and ask them. Or, get a copy of Hemmings Motor News and call the various Cadillac parts specialsts and ask them. If you find the parts, please post here - I know there are several Buick owners who are interested in this subject, myself included. I just haven't had time to do much research.

Other cars:
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
58limited
Site Admin

Postby larc58 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:12 pm

I have a restored Limited coupe and it is running the the original Air susp with the exeption of the bags, i have used all the original levelers and valves, these have all been rebuilt and work fine. the car rides very well. the bags are firestone and have been modified to fit.
58 Limited Coupe
53 Skylark
52 Woody (super)
55 Roadmaster 2 door h/top
57 Cab Wagon
+ other makes
larc58

Postby 58limited » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Did you rebuild the leveling valves yourself? Did you have to replace the schrader valves? Where did you get them?

Other cars:
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
58limited
Site Admin

Postby mdbrooks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Was wondering if anyone has isntalled firestone air springs as replacements?

If you did what criteria did you use to match volume, progressive spring rate change, etc.

Also, did you find the proper shock absorbers (different damping in each direction).

Mike
mdbrooks

Next

Return to Air Poise Suspension