Hurricane Ike

The Lounge is the only area that non-1958 Buick topics can be discussed. All discussions must be kept civil and polite. Get to know your 1958 Buick neighbors who may otherwise have nothing in common with you. Political topics are not allowed.

Hurricane Ike

Postby 58limited » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:22 am

Sorry for the month long absence. Hurricane Ike hit my area and I didn't get internet back until this past week. Power was restored by the 8th day, the power company called in crews from all over the U.S. and restored power to about 2 million customers in 12 days. During the past month my internet provider, Time Warner, was conspicuous in their absence. Once they finally came and started replacing the cable lines, they were pulled to another job for a week: they had to get the city offices hooked up first.

I was able to evacuate my cars 50 miles north so they received no salt exposure. My house had minor damage: 13 inches of water in the garage, 1 inch in the kitchen only, and minor roof damage (no leaks). My standby generator shorted out (it was elevated 8 inches, flood water was 13 inches). There is a five foot high wall of debris, mostly cane and salt grass, across the length of my back yard. By back yard "fence" is the seawall. It is 17 feet high and really saved our bacon here in Port Arthur. The other towns around us got 5-8 feet of flood water through them. Here is a picture of the water behind my house at 1pm Saturday 9/12/08 (about 10 hours after the eye made landfall):

The water is three feet below the top of the wall. I did not stay during the storm, but drove back in at noon (I have a first responder pass). Here is the debris:

And a lot of these were in the debris:

This is a cottonmouth (or water moccasin), and aggressive venomous snake. The Corps of Engineers is going to clean the debris - they have a 30 foot easement and it is their job to clean it. Many of my neighbors have already paid for clean up, but why should I pay a couple of thousand dollars (or more) when the Corps is going to do it anyway?
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: Hurricane Ike

Postby dvonk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:50 pm

wow, sorry about your house... but im glad your cars are ok! :) hopefully you can get your life back to normal as soon as possible.

and watch out for those snakes!
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Return to The Lounge