My Limited Four Door Project

Post pictures and details of your current '58 Buick project here.

Re: My Limited Four Door Project

Postby Smartin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 pm

I slapped the driver's side fender on this evening. This front sheet metal is a major pain in the arse to get lined up. You pretty much have to leave all of the fasteners loose until you get them all started...and then you're still fighting it into place. I can't wait until I get the hood on. That should be fun to line up. I still have to install the heater hose on the passenger side, as well as the fuel line...before I can install the passenger side fender.

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Lots of progress today...

Heater hoses installed
Fuel line run to the tank
Passenger side fender hung in place
Splash pan installed
Other misc front end sheet metal tacked on
AC condenser installed & lines connected

I almost forgot about the engine wire harness. I'm hoping I can make the old one look good...because I really don't feel like paying thousands of $$ for a new complete harness for this car. I think the engine harness is in decent shape, but the dash harness is another story.

I am ready to start stripping the trunk lid. I don't particularly enjoy this part of the game. Once I can get the hood and trunk primed, I can paint the jambs and install them....then it's time for more blocking!!! Then paint :)

Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby 58limited » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:31 am

All I can say is "WOW!!"

Does your trunk lid have a lot of rust on the inside surface? Mine does and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it. One person in Sweden actually separated the two halves of the truck lid by prying up the lip along the edge that holds the inner lid to the outer lid shell. I'm not sure I want to get into that, and I think he had access to professional sheetmetal equipment.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby Smartin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:03 pm

There was a section about 18" in length that was rotted...and 12" of it had rotted the outer skin that folds onto the inside. What I did was graft a piece from a 57 Roadmaster onto the spot that was on the inside...then I cut a strip of metal about 1/4" in width, and the length of the rotted piece that folds from the outer skin. I welded the entire edge of the piece, then ground the weld smooth, so that it looks like it's folded from the factory. I did some detail photos further up in the thread...and you can kind of see what I did. I was able to bend the good outer skin out a bit so I could tuck in the new metel underneath. It was a pain in the butt...especially since I tried to do it on the original lid and completely trashed it. Frank came through with the lid that I am using now. My original lid was completely rusted through the entire length of it.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby Smartin » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 pm

I posted this on the BCA forums a while ago, but I thought I would share it here, in case you were wondering about the status of this project.

I thought I would be really upset about doing this, but the decision was glaringly obvious to me once I laid out all of the options.

Since buying the 58 Roadmaster, the thought of selling the Limited had been running through my head. At first, I was going to turn around a make a quick buck on the Roadie, but some issues with it started coming up and snowballed a bit...so I bailed on the sale for the time being. I knew that keeping both cars was not an option, so I thought about the prospect of selling the Limited. The cost of finishing the Limited far outweighed the cost of repairing the issues on the Roamaster. PLUS, I have an instant car to drive again. Decision made.

How the heck would I ever sell the car in the state that it's in? Well, I wouldn't. The car would have to be reasonably completely assembled, and I would then list it on ebay. So, assembly began.

All of the trim was installed. Hood, trunk lid were installed. Bumpers, taillights, headlights, grille, windshield (front and back) were laid in and secured. Seats, dashboard, etc.... Holy crap, it looks like a car again!

I found a few parts that I no longer needed or had duplicates of, so I listed them on ebay. Two of the Limited-specific parts were sold to someone in Sweden. After the auction was over, he asked me if I had any other Limited parts. I said, "Yes, I have a whole car!" I told him what I needed to get out of it, and a deal was made. Two weeks later, the transport company was sitting in front of my house. I was sure to shoot several videos of the car just before it was loaded, in case it was damaged in transport.

Off he goes!

Before you all ask, this has nothing to do with my recent engagement. In fact, she insisted that I keep the Limited. She does love the Roadmaster, though. It made too much sense NOT to sell the Limited. So, I'm sorry to say, this project has come to an end. Maybe someday when I have a bigger garage and a bigger money tree, I can have a Limited. For now, the Roadmaster will do a great job of filling my need :)
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby dvonk » Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 am

sad to see it go, but the Roadmaster is an excellent replacement! 8)
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Previous

Return to Member Projects