Carb Kickdown linkage

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, and other items related to the powertrain, except transmissions. Transmissions can be discussed in the Transmissions forum.

Carb Kickdown linkage

Postby 58 Century » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 pm

Ive written before about my ongoing struggle with my 4GC. To enjoy my car until I find the right Carter replacement, I hid a new Edelbrock under the air cleaner for a temporary solution. I'm having trouble connecting the old kickdown linkage to the new carb. I'll have to make a slotted bracket.

My question is why does the variable pitch Dynaflow have a kickdown linkage anyway? What does it do since the transmission doesn't shift?

Thanks
Tory
58 Century
58 Century

Postby 58limited » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 pm

Tory,

Welcome to the forum. I never received your first post about your difficulty registering, but I just now (at 12:45pm) received your "Nevermind, I figured it out" reply. I'm hoping this new forum will eliminate the lost or delayed posting that I always ran into on Yahoo.

Now, Variable pitch dynaflows have a kick down in order to downshift for accelerating power when passing, or just flooring the gas.

The variable pitch in fact has three gears: First (low), Second, and Third. The car basically always runs in third gear - this is how it has the smooth accelration with no shift being felt. When you floor it while driving, the transmission will kick down into second and give you a boost in power - it will throw you back into your seat. From a stop, you can manually shift into first with the gear shift, accelerate until the engine sounds like it needs to shift - like in a regular car - and upshift into drive. The transmission should shift into second, then third when you do this.

Now, don't try this at home as I'm sure its not good for the transmission, but sometimes at a light some kid will rev his engine thinking he can beat me in a race. I will shift into low, floor it when the light changes, and I can give that kid a run for the money. I up shift to drive when the speedo reads 35-40mph. I don't win (the car is 5000 pounds) but it impresses them. I have even spun the tires a time or two - not bad for a Limited with a variable pitch.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: Carb Kickdown linkage

Postby frame30 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm trying to, while the engine is out, put back the throttle linkage. I have the reference from the manual but I think I am missing some parts that join the lower stator to the gas pedal linkage. Do either of you have any pictures so I can identify the missing part? I think it is the one in the box in the lower left of the manual diagram. Thoughts? Cheers. Michael.
frame30

Postby 58limited » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:08 pm

I don't have a good picture right now, maybe another member does. My car is kinda not easy to get to at the moment.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby Smartin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm

I thought I had some photos of the linkage detached, but I cannot find it. I'll keep looking.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Return to Engine and Drive Train