Water manifold leak

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, and other items related to the powertrain, except transmissions. Transmissions can be discussed in the Transmissions forum.

Water manifold leak

Postby PDR521 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:57 am

Hi Guys

I have a problem with a water leak on the water manifold on my nailhead. I have just rebuilt the engine and this is the first time I have filled the radiator and I have found a leak at the manifold where the bypass tube fits into the timing cover.

When I dismantled the engine I found that in addition to the O ring there were some packers under the O ring and the tube that goes through it is threaded all the way.

It seems to me that the packers should not have been there because to get the assembly to seal you have to put downward pressure on the manifold as the bolts are tightened. I tried this and all I did was wreck the gaskets where the manifold bolts to the head.

I am thinking that the tube that screws into the manifold should not have a thread on it and should be the correct size so that the O ring seals against the OD of the tube and the ID of the hole in the timing cover.

Has anybody come up against this problem before and can confirm that the tube screwed into the manifold under the thermostat should be smooth and if possible let me know the diameter so I can get one made.

Regards
Peter
PDR521

Return to Engine and Drive Train