Pitting on rear axle gears...bad idea to run it?

Engine, fuel system, cooling system, heating, carburetors, exhaust, and other items related to the powertrain, except transmissions. Transmissions can be discussed in the Transmissions forum.

Pitting on rear axle gears...bad idea to run it?

Postby Resurrector » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 pm

So I noticed moisture inside of my rear end while changing pinion seal, so drained it...a freaking QUART of water came out, followed by some lovely sludge...pulled the absolutely monstrous centre section out, (used trans jack, saved back!) and there's some pitting on a few of the crown and pinion teeth, from rust. Would it be a bad idea to clean it all up, put new bearings in, and run it that way? Will rear end self destruct? This car may see 3000 miles a year if she's lucky.
Resurrector

Re: Pitting on rear axle gears...bad idea to run it?

Postby bhclark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm

It should be fine.
I had a '65 wildcat rear end that had excessive pitting. The rear end was rebuilt and the gears polished, but it still produced a very loud whine at speed. Mechanic said it was just annoying, not dangerous or going to fail.

I ultimately swapped it out for a posi just to get rid of the whine. (Both the cars and mine.) :) :lol:
Brian Clark
'58 Super 2 dr Riviera(SNOW WHITE)
'59 Invicta 4 dr ht (LUCILLE)
'65 Wildcat Convertible (ROXANNE)
'96 Roadmaster Estate Wagon (LIZZIE)
BCA #41596, DWD #3
bhclark

Postby Resurrector » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks, I ended up putting it back in, bearings were in great shape...go figure.
Resurrector

Postby Resurrector » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am

Just wanted to update this thread, you'd never know my gears were pitted, now that I've driven her, the car is nice and quiet, no noise from that area.
Resurrector

Return to Engine and Drive Train