stuck speedometer drum?

Wiring, power windows, power seats, radios, heaters, fans, motors, relays, air conditioning, autronic eye, and other accessories or wiring-related items.

stuck speedometer drum?

Postby dvonk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 pm

as visible in my video in this post, my speedometer drum is stuck around 60mph. it was at 0mph while parked for a long time, but when i drove it to its current location, it stuck and stayed at its currently location. i was most definitely NOT going 60mph, so the reading is erroneous; however, i suspect it was sticky and 'jumped' to a higher readout due to resistance.

my question is this: has anyone tried to remedy this? i imagine the mechanism is probably spring-loaded to return the drum to zero when not in use... do you think the spring has broken, or has the bearing just gotten stuck?

i have yet to take my dash cluster apart... i like to know ahead of time what i am getting myself into. :wink:
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Re: stuck speedometer drum?

Postby Smartin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:03 pm

It's a fairly major pain in the arse to get the instrument cluster out of the dash. I recommend either dealing with it, or preparing to spend a lot of time with your arms and hands twisted into balls...and bleeding all over the upholstery :mrgreen:
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Re: stuck speedometer drum?

Postby dvonk » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:27 am

haha, well it may just have to wait then, because there *might* be a couple other things to do... :lol:
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Return to Electrical and Accessories