front brake drum/hub removal

Frames, suspension (except Air Poise which has its own forum), axles, springs, bushings, shocks, brakes, rotors, hubs, steering, etc.

front brake drum/hub removal

Postby dvonk » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:32 pm

i have a really dumb question. im trying to inspect my wheel cylinders and need to remove the brake drums. the back drums are simple, but the front drums arent the same. there are no specific instructions in the Chassis Service Manual for removing the drums. ive looked at the cross section diagram in the manual, and it looks like removing the drum/hub assembly requires the removal of the steering knuckle spindle nut under the dust cap.

is that the correct way to remove the drum/hub? also, (im looking at Figure 7.9 in the Chassis Service Manual) it looks like there are some bearings and a grease seal inside the drum/hub assembly--do the bearings need to be repacked and the seal replaced if i remove the drum/hub or can i just replace the hub after i am done looking at the wheel cylinder?
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Re: front brake drum/hub removal

Postby Smartin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Yes, you have to remove the spindle nut/cotter pin to get the drum off. The seal and outer bearings will fall out as you pull the drum off. Make sure you catch them, or you will be replacing them. The inner bearings are pressed into the back of the drum...so they're stuck in there.

It is a good idea to repack the bearings if you can get to them. The seal is nothing more than a metal washer with a keyway to fit into the spindle. It will not need replacement unless it's damaged.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby 58limited » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:04 pm

There is in fact an inner grease seal of the usual type. If you carefully remove the drum, the seal should be OK, but inspect it to see if the rubber is hard or damaged. If so, replace them.

To remove the rear bearing, I first take out the front bearing (usually falls out when hub/rotor assy. is removed) and use a flat head screw driver and hammer to tap it out by sticking the screw driver through the front opening where the front bearing was, placing the screwdriver end on the outer bearing ring, and tapping lightly. Reposition the screwdriver around the circumference a few times and the bearing should pop right out. Try not to hit hard enough to gouge the machined surface where the bearing rests or damage the outer bearing ring.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby Smartin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks for clarifying the seal. I just took a closer look at mine, and they are clearly visible. When I pulled them off, I just pushed them aside and hadn't inspected them closely. :oops:
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby dvonk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:20 pm

thanks guys, i like to learn from others' experience if at all possible, so i dont make stupid mistakes due to ignorance. :roll: now i have a better idea of what to expect when im removing the front brake drum/hub.
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Return to Chassis