Is some panel missing on my car ???

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc.

Is some panel missing on my car ???

Postby ceejay » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Hey all,

On my recently purchased Century I'm thinking that some sheet metal is missing or has rotten away...

With the hood opened, I look inside the engine bay near the blower motor and also near the brake master pump... looking towards the fender, I can see the road and the wheel through a large opening. Surely this can't be correct ?

Any idea whats missing here ? Photos would be a great help

Thanks !!
ceejay

Re: Is some panel missing on my car ???

Postby dvonk » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:47 pm

it sounds like your inner fender panels are missing. here are photos of mine:
Attachments
P1090822.jpg
(264.83 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
IMG_3356.jpg
(302.74 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk
'58 Buick Addict

Postby ceejay » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:04 am

Heey Dvonk !!

I recognise your user name from the vids I have been watching over and over on You Tube... Even before I bought my car (a few days ago) I kept watching the vids of your car and was fantasizing about being having one of my own.

About the panels... my car does have the inner fenders... in your car, you know where the flexible hose to the blower motor is.... if you look down there what do you see ?

On mine, if I look down there, I see the wheel and the road. Same on the other side.

By the way, how come your car has such a small carb ? the carb on mine seems huge in comparison. (excuse my ignorance as I am very new to American classics)

Thanks for your input
ceejay

Postby dvonk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:58 pm

hello ceejay,
i am glad you found my YouTube videos, maybe we can see videos of your Century when you get it running! :)

i went out to my garage and took some more pictures of the fender areas in question, perhaps they will help. on my '58, the flexible blower hose takes up most of the space by the inner fender, and i could not see the ground. on the driver's side, though, you can see a bit of the ground if you look closely. i cannot see the wheels on either side.

about my carburetor, it is a 2-barrel (or '2 bbl') carburetor. it was standard on the Special--the larger, 4-barrel (or '4 bbl') was only an option. the 4 barrel carburetor was standard on the 'large size' 1958 Buick models (Super, Roadmaster & Limited). larger carburetors allow for more air and fuel intake into the engine, and thus create more horsepower. i am considering upgrading my 2 barrel to a factory 4 barrel, but the 2 barrel works for now.
Attachments
P1100113.jpg
(231.07 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
P1100116.jpg
(175.09 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
1958 MOD. 43
STYLE 58-4439
BODY No. BK2451
TRIM 412
PAINT CG
ACC. E (also BFG)
dvonk