Trunk insulation

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc.

Trunk insulation

Postby PDR521 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:40 am

Hi Does anybody know where I can buy the original looking insulation that is fitted to the trunk lid between the inner and outer skins of my 58 Buick.

Regards
Peter
PDR521

Re: Trunk insulation

Postby 58limited » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 pm

Try CARS, Inc. If they don't have it, maybe they know who does.

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Postby Smartin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:42 pm

I know this thread is a few months old, but I ran into this problem with a 60 I was working on a couple years ago.

That trunk insulation is not replaceable. Buick put that stuff in there before they put the two panels together. Unless you think you can find the stuff, it will be difficult to replace. You'd have to cut it just a hair bigger than the opening itself, and somehow slip it in and glue it in place.

I ended up just painting over the stuff that was in there already.

Also, I just looked on my 58, and it has the original paint on the underside of the trunk lid. The insulation has the factory paint on it.
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Postby 58limited » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:36 am

I saw a website by a European who had this same problem. He actually separated the two panels of the trunk lid and replaced the material. Sounds like a lot of work to me, but if you have the tools and the time, well why not?

My trunk lid has some issues inside: I can hear debris/rust when I open and close it and the insulation panel is getting shabby. I am friends with some outstanding body men and I'm going to ask them what it would take to separate the two panels on my trunk lid. But, I will probably end up removing the old insulation panel, shaking all of the debris out, and cleaning/sealing the inside the best I can before I replace the insulation panel - in pieces as Smartin suggests.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Return to Body, Trim, Interiors