New Registration rules - EDITED

Notice any problems? Have a suggestion? Want to offer praise or criticism? This is the place to do it.

New Registration rules - EDITED

Postby 58limited » Sat May 30, 2009 12:30 pm

The spammers are still able to get through the security measures so I have shut down registrations for now. Please e-mail me if you would like to join: limited58 at gt.rr.com

Replace "at" with @

There is a patch for this but I don't have the time to install it right now.

Apparently the spammers have figured out how to bypass the security measures. We had two hundred spammers join the forum. I had to delete each one manually - the software doesn't allow mass deletings. I have tightened the security settings and will now approve every new applicant instead of letting the system automatically approve everyone. Since 90% of the spam memberships that I just deleted all used the same email providers, all applicants with a gmail.com, *.biz, *.info, or *.ru email address will be automatically denied, as will applicants with gibberish usernames. Please choose a username that actually makes a real word or name. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this might cause legitimate new applicants.

Deleting all of these spam members was monotonous and took nearly 2 hours. I apologize if I accidentally deleted a regular member. If I did, please rejoin.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: New Registration rules

Postby Smartin » Sat May 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I feel your pain!

I am an administrator at www.buickperformancegroup.com/forums and www.buickcenturion.com/forums and I have had to switch on the "Moderate all new registrations" feature on both boards. On the BPG site, we were getting something around 30-50 new users a day, with 95% of them spammers. We had tried all the usual stuff like automatically turning down all email addresses with .ru, etc extensions...but they kept coming.

I recently found a feature in the software (vbulletin) that allows me to set up a registration question...something that all those folks actually interested in registering for the sake of Buicks will know the answer to. After I did that, the new registrations dropped off to almost nothing. I was a great day!
Smartin
'58 Buick Addict

Re: New Registration rules

Postby 58limited » Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 am

New registrations are temporarily deactivated until i can install a patch that allows for a registration screening question similar to what Adam mentioned above. I got 35 spam registrations yesterday that I had to deny. Sorry for the inconvenience.
1958 Buick Limited Riviera Coupe Model 755

Other cars:
1953 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental Safari
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 HT
1977 Lincoln Continental Convertible
58limited
Site Admin

Re: New Registration rules - EDITED

Postby 58limited » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Read this post for updated registration information:

http://www.1958buickforum.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=843